Sunday, October 2, 2011

symposium sushi

This blog has been zig-zagging a bit recently.

Deviating from the usual fitness blog, first it was home improvement with wifi thermostats and ice makers with filtered water, now we seem to be beginning a minor food streak with this second post in a row.
(See last post here.)

Saturday, I was at ASU (Arizona State University) for an all-day symposium. As usual, after the event, a bunch of the presenters and organizers went out for a bite to eat and socialize a bit near Mill Avenue in Tempe. I'd have dearly loved to have joined them of course.

But I reckon I'd earned myself some sushi after my talk. So I made my excuses and left as we were about to enter a restaurant. Of course, I'd thoroughly enjoyed the academic presentations at the symposium, but it was either these wonderful people or my dinner reservation.

I feel terrible about it but I'd been thinking of this neat place that I haven't been to for a while. So much so that I had quietly sneaked out during a break and called to make a reservation to be sure I'd get a spot - you know, Saturday night and all that.

A bit rude and anti-social? Guilty as charged. But look at the evidence below: can you resist?

On the left, sauteed eryngii mushrooms (special, not on the regular menu). On the right, aji (spanish mackerel), mirugai (giant clam, geoduck) chuo toro (medium fatty tuna), uni (sea urchin) and hamachi (yellowtail). So good, so good...

As I ate, I think back to the last time I was here. It has been a while.

No comments:

Post a Comment